June 8, 1957 - First College World Series appearance
Editor's Note: This is Part 1 of a four part series over the coming weekend.
- Part I: June 8, 1957: Iowa St 13 - ND 8 (10)
- Part II: June 9, 1957: ND 23 - Northern Colorado 2
- Part III: June 10, 1957: ND 9 - Texas 0
- Part IV: June 11, 1957: Penn St 5 - ND 4
1957- The Irish Baseball team achieved its best ever finish in the College World Series.
The Starters for the ’57 Irish:
- C Elmer Kohort-1st team All American, hit .348
- 1B Jim Cusack-Irish Captain from Peoria Spalding Institute,son Pat played fb at ND
- 2B Eddie Hurley-son of famed MLB Umpire Ed Hurley (remember Eddie Gaedel?)
- SS James Carideo-nephew of ND QB great Frank Carideo who won 2 National Championships at ND
- 3B Steve Johnson-replaced Morris at 3b late in the season
- LF Bob Senecal-who played HB on the ’54 Irish Frosh Football team
- CF Gene Duffy-also the starting point guard on the ND basketball team
- RF Jim Morris-one of only 18 frosh football recruits in 1954
- P Tom Bujnowski-won 7 games in ’57, 1.56 ERA
- P Chuck Symeon-was 4-1 for the season
The ’57 World Series started badly for the Irish. ND lost their first game in ten innings to Iowa St 13-8.
Keywords: baseball, college world series, iowa state, football, elmer kohort, jim cusack, eddie hurley, james carideo, steve johnson, bob senecal, gene duffy, jim morris, tom bujnowski, chuck symeon, frank carideo
Posted On: 2012-06-08 00:15:02 by Olson
Edited On: 2012-06-11 07:20:44 by IrishTrpt07
|Be the first to comment!|
Post New Comment