June 17, 1886 - Dr. Brownson's body brought to ND
Brownson Hall is more than just the building at the end of North Quad, it's named after Orestes A. Brownson - the most distinguished lay Catholic American. Father Sorin and Dr. Brownson had a long friendship and were both very respected men. Upon Brownson's death, his body originally laid in Detroit at Mt. Elliott cemetery. Major Henry A. Brownson, Orestes' son, brought his father's body to the University of Notre Dame to be interred in the crypt beneath Sacred Heart Church. There he lays beside Fathers De Seille, Petit and Cointet.
After converting to Catholicism in 1844, Orestes Brownson had spoke at great length about how he wished to forever remain at Notre Dame.
Keywords: brownson hall, north quad, orestes a brownson, father sorin, father de seille, father petit, father cointet, sacred heart church, basilica, crypt
Posted On: 2012-06-17 06:06:05 by IrishTrpt07
|Be the first to comment!|
Post New Comment