October 29, 1966 - The Immovable Irish Defense
Ara moves starting ILB John Pergine to OLB for this game after starting OLB Mike McGill was lost for the season in the previous game vs Oklahoma.
Pergine in his first ever game at OLB, intercepts 3 passes vs Navy. The last INT was tipped by fellow LB Jim Lynch into Pergine's hands. Lynch proceeds to tackle Pergine
Navy scores on a blocked punt for its only points.
FINAL #1 ND 31 Navy 7
Notre Dame allowed 38 points all season:
- 7 were by Leroy Keyes (Purdue) when he returned Rocky Bleier's fumble 90+ yds for a td
- 7 were by Navy on a blocked punt for a td
- 7 were by Northwestern's Rog Murphy on a 4th Q td pass vs the Irish reserves (and Johnny Ray - Irish Defensive coach was pissed....even though the reserves also intercepted two passes-they played a lot that day)
- 17 points were scored against the Irish starting defense:
- Griese got one TD for Purdue (7pts)
- Michigan St scored 10
Keywords: football, navy, ara parseghian, john pergine, mike mcgill, oklaoma, jim lynch, defense, special teams, purdue, northwestern, johnny ray, michigan state, rocky bleier
Posted On: 2013-11-15 00:15:05 by Olson
|Be the first to comment!|
Post New Comment